Friday, August 24, 2007

Heartbreaker and A Blast from the Past



First off, thanks to everyone who's been commenting. It's very much appreciated.
Here's a random character page I did based on this girl I saw on the subway, who definitely looked like a heart breaker. She obviously wasn't smoking on the subway (it's illegal) but she did have a cigarette in her mouth, ready to be lit as soon as she stepped out.
The second...at the risk of endless humiliation - on the left is a drawing I did in 2003, just as I was starting at Sheridan, straight out of high school into the Art Fundamentals program, as I was cleaning up my computer and its hard drives, I managed to stumble upon this drawing (among many other absolutely atrocious pieces) and decided to see what I could do with a similar, more correct pose now. The sketch took a total of about 10 minutes now with another 10 to color, and the one from 2003 definitely took WAY longer than that. It's funny to look back at where you were, makes you feel good until you look at where you have to go...then it's right back to the drawing board.
Also, apparently Gobelins isn't the only French animation school, this one called "La Poudiere" seems pretty cool too, although perhaps a little more "experimental" in it's film making. You need to be at least 23 years old to get in, unless there are "special circumstances". Clay over at the Animation Podcast has posted a new podcast of stop-motion pioneer Ray Harryhausen. I haven't heard it yet, but it should be good.
Anyway, let me know what you think of this stuff, I really appreciate the comments!
-R.

15 comments:

jon crowley said...

i question the hips in your heartbreaker drawing.

Chris Dainty, Rita Street said...

Cool stuff!

Brian Hatfield said...

Hey man! I love where your work is going. The only peice of advice is to keep it loose. In time you will learn how to keep it looking loose even in a clean up. It's hard but it will come. Trust me. If you ever want to talk give me a call. I hope to be up there soon, but have'nt heard fro FATKAT. So we'll see. Good luck. You're doing well.

(818) 353-9348

Brian

Amanda said...

I love looking at comparison art! Man, your style's changed so much 8) Nice job on the re-drawn girl's face, it's really appealing.

Jason Kim said...

big improvement. I really like how your stuff has gotten less literal with more abstraction and interpretation. I have to say though, there's some subtleties of the old pose that feel more feminine to me. But that's just me :) Great work.

louis THOMAS said...

hey!thanks for comment...
your girl with glasses on the left is really nice!
see you

ohmyalikins said...

all very cool! :)

Pete Emslie said...

Hi Randeep,

Since you had requested over on my blog that I pop in here to take a look at this, here is my honest assesssment:

I do think the new sketch is quite an improvement over the original, but there are a couple things I'd like to see you work on some more. On the plus side, I think the more cartoony style is giving it more life and personality. Also, it looks like you've created a clearer silhouette with the way she is holding the bunny, as the original pose was a bit cluttered and there were some tangents with the bunny's arm and ear lining up with the outline of her right arm. The arms were flowing into the hands with no discernible wrists and her right foot was looking awkwardly staged - I'd avoid full-on front views of feet if possible. These elements are looking much better in the new sketch.

In the new drawing, my criticism would be in regard to her face and head construction. The construction in the original seemed stronger, more dimensional. In the new drawing it appears that her left eye is drifting a bit off the facial plane. Check your centre line on the face to make sure her features are remaining consistently placed on either side. The big issue for me, however, is what appears to be a missing leg! I really don't believe that her left leg would be totally obscured by the stuffed bunny. I think you need to either show her sitting on it, with knee poking out behind bunny's tummy and maybe her foot and ankle showing under her bottom. Or, maybe go back to what you had originally, with her left leg toward the viewer, bent at the knee, with bunny propped on top of her thigh.

All things considered, I do see great strides in your work since that day you first approached me for feedback when you were still in fundies. Carry on, Randeep!

Jarrett said...

Dude, you're getting pretty ridiculous.

Gene Fowler said...

neat stuff dude. keep drawing.. more lineless stuff!

Dan said...

nice stuff Randeep. Great stretch in style, good job.

Andre Barnwell said...

Hey Deep this is the first time im seein this but not the first time im hearin gyou did this. Nice revamp...pete emslie gave it to you in all honesty but regardless nice improvement. My critique. Try again and take your time with it.

Stuff ive drawn that ends up working i do it over and over and over and over. What one never sees are the re-drawn images. And elive me there can be a whole lot.

Tim Bye said...

Great work!

Samanta Erdini said...

wooww!! I love your style! You are unique! Nice Line and composition!!!


Samy

Samanta Erdini said...

aww, you are too cute I added on my FAV to check you always!!
Thankss!!!

Samy